We know that the readers of our daily news roundup are probably voracious consumers of environmental news. Which means there's a good chance that you're just the kind of person we need to serve as the new lead writer for Today OnEarth (or you know someone who is). Here's a description of what we're looking for and how to apply:
OnEarth magazine is seeking a talented journalist to be the lead writer for our daily Today OnEarth news roundup (OnEarth’s equivalent of The Slatest or The Daily Beast’s Cheat Sheet) and produce other timely blog posts/news briefs on environmental topics for OnEarth.org. The ideal candidate will be a voracious news junkie who understands that good curation is about more than just listing and linking; we want a writer who can add value and analysis to the source material and offer entertainment and insight to our educated readers, who include scientists, policy makers, and media pros.
- At least 3-5 years of daily news writing experience, including some online.
- The ability to craft well-written copy on tight deadlines that requires minimal editing.
- A familiarity with our publication and interest in the topics we cover, including food, health, energy, transportation, cities, and sustainability.
- An encyclopedic knowledge of politics and pop culture.
- Experience with social media and digital storytelling tools.
- An eye for interesting, attention-catching photos and knowledge of how to source them through Creative Commons.
- Knowledge of how to craft information-rich headlines that make readers want to click.
- The ability to pick up the phone and dig for details the old-fashioned way when needed.
- Comfort working in a fast-paced environment, both independently and as part of a team, and taking constructive feedback and editorial direction.
- A compelling, conversational writing style appropriate for a magazine’s website -- reminiscent of the Atlantic, New York, or Wired -- with a strong voice, sharp wit, and original perspective.
This is a part-time contract position that will work off site, perhaps during off hours in order to produce the morning news roundup. (A West Coast candidate who can work late, after the next day’s news stories are posted online, or an East Coast early riser who can file by an early deadline would be ideal.) We’re looking for a writer who can dedicate about three hours each weekday to blogging for OnEarth. Compensation commensurate with experience.
To apply, please send a cover letter, resume, and 3-5 clips highlighting your aggregation and blogging abilities to email@example.com with “News Blogger” in the subject. OnEarth is published by the Natural Resources Defense Council, an equal-opportunity employer.
Photo Credit: bjmccray via Compfight cc